So it begins!
This is my first attempt at a blog, so I may make a few mistakes, but I was always told that's how we learn.
I'm a 50 year old mum of 6 boys aged 24 to 13 with a set of twins in the middle. I have been married for 25 years as of 23rd February 2016 and I do think that my husband deserves some kind of medal to have put up with me and my various health issues both physical and mental. Another post for another day.
I rejoined Slimming World on 31/12/2015, to be honest this is an annual event for me.. I join, lose some weight and then for some reason or another I give up on myself and I say that because I have come to believe that I'm almost scared to succeed. I suppose anyone trying to lose weight knows that feeling that everything will be better if we lose weight! I guess I sabotage myself as I'm scared it won't be. I'm not at all sure that will make as much sense in anyone else's head as I believe it does in mine.
I was never overweight as a child or even in my early teens to be honest, but a stray comment by someone close to me convinced me that I was fat at 17 , 5ft 6'' weighing 9st 7lb with a 28'' waist!! and I started my first diet, I say diet I just decided to starve myself! This worked in the short term, but obviously as soon as I started eating the weight went back on with a little bit extra, and so started my affair with Yo Yo dieting which has lasted for the last 33 years! I have also cheated on the Yo Yo with Bulimia but that's a post for another day.. it takes a lot to even admit I have that problem, and I say have because I don't think it ever completely goes away.
Anyway, the end of 2015 saw me weighing in at 21st 6.5lbs and feeling horrible. I would normally leave it the New Year to start afresh but decided I should end it on a good note this year. Walking back into group there's always a sense of embarrassment that I am back there with a weight gain, but as soon as I'm through the door I feel at home and Liz my group leader makes me feel welcome and doesn't make me feel at all stupid or that I've failed in anyway and the other members have, mostly, been in my shoes so they are not judgemental ,just supportive. I even set myself an interim target this time, 3 stone to start with, but I will take it in small steps, so here's to the first award and 1/2 stone shiny sticker for my book.
I have decided to experiment with different recipes this time to make mealtimes a bit more exciting, so last night I made meatballs (I will post the recipe later) and although it was quite time consuming it was worth it as everyone in the house enjoyed them, which, if you knew my boys, is quite an achievement.
So, here I am, looking forward to the future in a positive frame of mind! Wish me luck! or rather wish that I continue to believe in myself and that I can do this!
Julie
I was never overweight as a child or even in my early teens to be honest, but a stray comment by someone close to me convinced me that I was fat at 17 , 5ft 6'' weighing 9st 7lb with a 28'' waist!! and I started my first diet, I say diet I just decided to starve myself! This worked in the short term, but obviously as soon as I started eating the weight went back on with a little bit extra, and so started my affair with Yo Yo dieting which has lasted for the last 33 years! I have also cheated on the Yo Yo with Bulimia but that's a post for another day.. it takes a lot to even admit I have that problem, and I say have because I don't think it ever completely goes away.
Anyway, the end of 2015 saw me weighing in at 21st 6.5lbs and feeling horrible. I would normally leave it the New Year to start afresh but decided I should end it on a good note this year. Walking back into group there's always a sense of embarrassment that I am back there with a weight gain, but as soon as I'm through the door I feel at home and Liz my group leader makes me feel welcome and doesn't make me feel at all stupid or that I've failed in anyway and the other members have, mostly, been in my shoes so they are not judgemental ,just supportive. I even set myself an interim target this time, 3 stone to start with, but I will take it in small steps, so here's to the first award and 1/2 stone shiny sticker for my book.
I have decided to experiment with different recipes this time to make mealtimes a bit more exciting, so last night I made meatballs (I will post the recipe later) and although it was quite time consuming it was worth it as everyone in the house enjoyed them, which, if you knew my boys, is quite an achievement.
So, here I am, looking forward to the future in a positive frame of mind! Wish me luck! or rather wish that I continue to believe in myself and that I can do this!
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment but please keep it civil and respectful x